Friday, August 15, 2014

Minutes Minutiae

Yesterday was an exciting day for me, as it was my first accepted opportunity to watch the greatest minds of rotary mapping out a plan for our Rotary futures.

I'm not sure what I expected from this meeting... but I do know what I was hoping for. Have you ever seen British Parliament? Yeah that's what I was hoping for. Picture Tracie Schwarzenneger-Shearer pleading her case that the Mayberry stop serving so many carbs with their meals. Brad Baby-Bjorn firing back that because of Tracie he's wasting so much dessert now that people are going halfsies on his offerings (because not having dessert at all is NOT an option). Eric Oliver-Cline keeps screaming about his intentions to adopt the fledgling Amo Rotary Chapter, while Rex Champion-Dugan sleeps (sockless of course) in the back.  The Honorable Stephenie LeMay-Luken (the judge) is contstantly banging her gavel for order and The Honorable David Judge-Coleman (the judge) puts his head in his hands wondering where it all went wrong. 

In reality what I saw was a bunch of motions to accept things, motions to move on from things, plenty of seconds to the motions, a few items calmly ironed out. Schwarzenneger-Shearer wasn't upset about anything, LeMay-Luken didn't even bring her gavel. Rex was however asleep in the back. It was all very practical, efficient and calm. My visions of a reality television series surrounding our Rotary Club took a hit yesterday for sure. I'm guessing Avon's Board Meetings are far more like the Wild West. They don't even have a town square!

No comments:

Post a Comment